Why Transition to IBM Cognos TM1 from Cognos EP?:
- More timely planning insight with real-time reporting and analysis – there is no time-delay between entering data into your plans and being able to view that data within your reports. No longer do you need to wait for a publish process to run. EP’s batch processing is eliminated. Ad-hoc reporting is made easy with the ability to slice a cube view directly to MS Excel where your Excel skills can quickly format an attractive report. With EP, reporting on data requires time consuming data publishing and manipulation, greatly reducing the ability to facilitate dynamic, real-time reporting and analysis needed by today’s business decision makers. This dramatically slows down decision making and adds unnecessary costs to your business
- Where there is web, you have access to your planning – IBM Cognos TM1 web allows users to perform their analysis in a web environment where no client install is required. Only a supported browser is needed to leverage the many charts and slicing and dicing capability (read/write)
- Speed – reduce allocations processes in EP from hours to minutes – Due to TM1’s in memory calculation engine, TM1 performs complex calculations in real-time. In addition, TM1 utilises a sparsity algorithm to optimise performance which means that it doesn’t perform calculations on cells where a result is not expected. This not only provides a massive improvement on model speed, but also results in reduced cube sizes. As an example, one customer reduced allocations processes in EP from 12 hours to 12 minutes
- Reduction of ongoing hardware costs – As your business grows, your TM1 environment can grow, and in most cases without having to add new hardware. TM1 operates in RAM and uses a 64 bit calculation engine. This means that customers can increase the RAM on the TM1 server as required to accommodate larger models over time, without necessarily needing to add additional servers
- Maintainability is substantially lower with more flexible modeling and far less cubes to manage – Calculations within the TM1 rules interface provide for considerable flexibility. Calculations can be made using data from another cube without having to transfer that data into the cube where the calculation is being performed. Cube design does not need to be so focused on performance impacts. More often than not, EP cubes are cut down in size because of the negative impact having additional dlists or larger dlists. In EP, most model designs are focused on optimizing performance within the limits of EP software as opposed to accurately modeling the business. TM1 allows customers to include all relevant data into a cube so that full business benefits can be achieved. Most EP customers who move to TM1 will find they have significantly fewer cubes with potentially much more data
- Easy transition for your users – TM1 not only has Microsoft Excel and Cognos TM1 Web for your users to adopt, users can now transition quickly using the interface they have been used to in EP. TM1 has the contributor front end to make the transition much less noticeable for the end-user. It is an almost identical interface that includes additional features such as charting and sandboxing.
- IBM’s trade up option for transitioning from EP to TM1 – Contact us for more details. Essentially IBM makes it easy for you to trade up your existing EP licenses toward your new investment in IBM Cognos TM1.